Posts Tagged “Facts”
Oct 27 2011
Oct 27 2011
2. If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. For when a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.
3. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.
4. Your tongue is germ free only if it is pink. If it is white there is a thin film of bacteria on it.
5. The Mercedes-Benz motto is “Das Beste oder Nichts” meaning “the best or nothing”.
6. The Titanic was the first ship to use the SOS signal.
7. The pupil of the eye expands as much as 45 percent when a person looks at something pleasing.
8. The average person who stops smoking requires one hour less sleep a night.
9. Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
10. The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.
11. Dalmatians are born without spots.
12. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
13. The ‘v’ in the name of a court case does not stand for ‘versus’, but for ‘and’ (in civil proceedings) or ‘against’ (in criminal proceedings).
14. Men’s shirts have the buttons on the right, but women’s shirts have the buttons on the left.
15. The owl is the only bird to drop its upper eyelid to wink. All other birds raise their lower eyelids.
16. The reason honey is so easy to digest is that it’s already been digested by a bee.
17. Roosters cannot crow if they cannot extend their necks.
18. The color blue has a calming effect. It causes the brain to release calming hormones.
19. Every time you sneeze some of your brain cells die.
20. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
21. The verb “cleave” is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
22. When you blush, the lining of your stomach also turns red.
23. When hippos are upset, their sweat turns red.
24. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle was built in 1903, and used a tomato can for a carburetor.
25. The lion that roars in the MGM logo is named Volney.
26. Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.
27. Switching letters is called spoonerism. For example, saying jag of Flapan, instead of flag of Japan.
28. It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.
29. The attachment of the human skin to muscles is what causes dimples.
30. There are 1,792 steps to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
31. The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.
32. Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.
33. It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.
34. The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
35. Most soccer players run 7 miles in a game.
36. The only part of the body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It takes in oxygen directly from the air.
37. Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die.
38. In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch (and make it look like it
39. Colgate faced big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries. Colgate translates into the command “go hang yourself.”
40. The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning its head are the rabbit and the parrot.
41. Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
42. The average person laughs 13 times a day.
43. Do you know the names of the three wise monkeys? They are:Mizaru(See no evil), Mikazaru(Hear no evil), and Mazaru(Speak no evil)
44. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
45. German Shepherds bite humans more than any other breed of dog.
46. Large kangaroos cover more than 30 feet with each jump.
47. Whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.
48. Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn. Suddenly the pigs, all two thousand of them, escaped through a broken fence and stampeded, trampling the two hapless protesters to death.
49. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural cause.
50. The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet!!
Jan 29 2009
Hmm, what’s quite the most interesting facts about solar energy is how little we use it! Do you know that the sun produce enough energy for everyone in the world? The sun produce enough energy for every single person alive at this very moment! However, less than one-tenth of one percent of our energy usage comes from the sun. Too bad we don’t have that kind of technology yet to harness all of the sun’s energy!
Another interesting fact about solar energy… it is dependent upon nuclear power. It’s own nuclear power solar energy 93 million miles away. The Earth receives more energy from the sun in one hour than the whole world uses in one year. That’s quite a lot of energy there. There’s also the fact that the world is still dependent on oil for heating and transportation needs.
About two billion people in the world have no access to electricity, and unfortunately, they cannot afford to access electricity. Even if the sun is giving us more than we ever need… we’re not there yet to harness the sun.
A 1-kilowatt-hour (kWh) equal the amount of electricity needed to burn a 100 watt light bulb for 10 hours. A 1-kilowatt home solar system installed cost about $9,000 before any rebate programs in the U.S. and because of that, the materials need to make the solar panel is expensive, the solar panels accounts for between 40-50% of the total cost of installing a solar power system.
Once you got the initial installation cost over, the solar system is quite inexpensive. Mostly because you’re now generating free energy coming from the sun. When you do use solar energy to make your home independent., your need of foreign or conventional energy which can cost a lot, have just been lessen. If your solar system produce enough, you really become independent on other energy sources.
Did that spark some interest in solar energy that can provide for you? Want to give a test and build your own solar system or wind power system? Check out this site at http://buildingyourownenergysolution.blogspot.com/ for more instructions on building your own renewable energy system! If you put effort into it, you can make it happen and may become independent from using conventional source and losing that electric bill. Check it out.